Axiostat Dental dressing is a sterile, non-absorbable haemostatic dressing intended to control oral bleeding during dental procedures. It is effective for patients on blood thinners to achieve faster haemostasis.
Mechanism of Action
Axiostat works on a principle of axio clotting technology. Once applied on a bleeding site, Axiostat forms a mechanical seal through its bioadhesive characteristics and prevents blood loss. The carefully engineered porous structure of Axiostat then leads to quick absorption of plasma and concentration of cellular and protein components at the wound site. Finally, Axiostat immobilises the negatively charged blood cells through its cationic charge, resulting in platelet aggregation and clot formation at the wound site in 2-3 minutes.
How to use:
- Tear open the sterile pack, remove Axiostat from pack.
- Apply Axiostat on the bleeding site with compression along with a cotton gauze for 2-3 minutes by the time bleeding stops.
Note: Patient can also hold the Axiostat with jaw compression pressure for 2-3 minutes.
Axiostat can be removed from the applied site with saline or water after 2-3 minutes without dislodging the clot and cause no further bleeding due to clot formation.
- To control oral bleeding during extraction or other dental procedures
- Maxillofacial trauma & surgery
- Effective on patients with blood thinners
- Non-absorbable haemostatic dressing
- Sterile, ready to use
- Works on oral mucosal tissue wounds
- Active on all sides
- Designed to optimally fit into the bleeding cavity
Axio clotting technology (a.c.t)
Axiostat® uses A.C.T (Axio Clotting Technology) to control severe haemorrhage within minutes. A.C.T is based on a biopolymer platform that utilises cationic properties for medical applications.
Axio’s current product has strong proprietary technology that enhances the haemostatic properties of its biopolymer – 100% chitosan:
- Enhances absorption leading to concentration of erythrocytes and platelets leading to Platelet adhesion, aggregation and coagulation resulting in enhanced clotting.
- Enhances basic mucoadhesive and polycationic properties of the product that enhances adhesive effect.
Advantages over competition
- Better water and blood absorbency & adhesion.
- Quicker haemostasis than Gelatin/ORC based dressings due to inherent cationic charge of reengineered chitosan.
- Quicker haemostasis than chitosan impregnated gauze due to higher porosity, blood absorbency and adhesion.
- 100% natural chitosan obtained from purer sources compared to other chitosan from exoskeletons that competition use.
- Easy, quick removal without causing further trauma to the wound and doesn’t leave any residue behind.