Dental implants are now preferred by most practices, their success driven by an ability to offer both an aesthetic and a functional solution. Implants help maintain the bone and also allow the patient to exert better chewing forces than traditional restorations.
However, the procedure might bring long-term problems: a key threat to the treatment’s success is a correlated rise in implant-specific diseases, such as peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis, which can, after 9 years, affect 60% of implant patients.1 Unfortunately, as recent studies prove, these diseases are degenerative, so early diagnosis and treatment are required to prevent implant loss.2
Up to now, there has been no proven protocol or any specific recommendations for dealing with these conditions. However11, MTD’s new ‘Impla’ line (which includes the products Implaprotect and Implacure) can now offer dental professionals an effective on-site protocol for preventing, and if necessary, treating peri-implantitis.
Use Implacure to
- Treat peri-implant mucositis (no bone loss).
- Treat peri-implantitis without implant extraction.
- During implant placement.
- Protect crestal bone for future implant placement during extractions.
- Help patients save time and money.
- Improve the dental practice’s ability to offer a choice of treatment options.
- Enhance practice profitability.
IN CASES OF moderate/severe peri-implantitis
With several cases treated during the product-development phase, ongoing trials show:
- Strong short- and medium-term results: in 43 patients, `excellent’ results after 8 days in 84% of patients and `good’ in 16%.
- Good results in all patients treated after 3–6 months.
- Increased osseointegration: All treated implants were well osseointegrated after 3–4 months.
- Excellent long-term results: Implants with severe peri-implantitis showed excellent results in all patients with bone regeneration around the implant.
- Increased chances of saving existing implant.
- Faster and more affordable treatment.
- Less discomfort for patients.
- Bone regeneration in a shorter time than standard treatments.8
- Implanprotect’s patented use of hyaluronic acid improves the regeneration of the alveolar bone allowing for a better implant insertion.9
- Rigorous patient compliance (pre- and post-surgery controlled by dentist).
- Best-in-class local antibiotic delivery.
- Extensive long-term decontamination due to coadministration of high concentrations of CHX gel and orthophosphoric acid.
After performing implastoplasty with Implacure’s exclusive burs to ensure surface sanitation, bone graft is used to fill the defect. This, applied with MTD’s exclusive formula of CHX gel and orthophosphoric acid, ensures best-in-class long-term decontamination to help tissue regeneration. Patented product combines a broad antimicrobial active formula with regenerative materials to accelerate tissue growth and give patients a proven, fast, affordable and reliable option to save their implant.
IN CASES OF moderate Peri-implantitis or Mucositis
- Disinfects and treats affected area with a local slow-release formula that provides high concentration of MIC levels over a sustained treatment duration.
- Delays/prevents bone loss in patients suffering from peri-implant mucositis.
- Non-surgical recurring treatment that can be carried out during regular visits.
- When applied to a new implant, 100% of treated cases are well osseointegrated after 3 to 4 months.10
- Faster bone regeneration in post-extraction sites when compared to other treatments.5
- Better implant insertion because of Implaprotect’s patented use of hyaluronic acid.6
- Rapid re-ossification of extraction sites.7
A Patented Local Action with Rapid Results
- Attacks and contains bacteria proliferation.
- Increases bone and soft-tissue cell proliferation.
- Improves osteogenic and osteoinductive activity.
Dentists know that it is vital to treat peri-implant mucositis promptly to prevent the onset of peri-implantitis and potential loss of the implant.3 Dental practices can now offer their patients a non-surgical (and on-site) treatment for this ever-growing condition. Implaprotect acts as a Stage 1 defence against peri-implantitis.
Long term outcome
Initial studies show excellent results in 100% of patients, with a 50 to 80% bone restoration around implant.10 New studies (in Press) of 4 years continue to support this trend.
Science and Simplicity
Implaprotect’s patented preparation brings together antibiotic and regenerative therapies to deliver an ‘all-in-one’ therapy for the localized treatment of peri-implant mucositis. The combined antibiotic and liquid solution is able to penetrate the micro-openings of the implant and attack and contain the spread of bacteria. This is combined with hyaluronic acid to stimulate bone regrowth, and improve osteogenic and osteoinductive activity.
2. Meijer HJ et al. Incidence of peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis in edentulous patients with an implant-retained mandibular overdenture during a 10-year follow-up period. J Clin Periodontal 2014 Dec; 41(12):1178–83. 3. Rosen P et al. Peri-Implant mucositis and peri-implantitis: a current understanding of their diagnoses and clinical implications, Task Force on PeriImplantitis of the American Academy of Periodontology in January 2013.
4. Lewis N. A ticking dental time bomb? Medical and Defence Union of Scotland 2015; Winter.
5. Brunel G et al. Action of hyaluronic acid on the wound healing following extraction. Dent inform 2004; 7: 385–91.
6. Sasaki T, Watanabe C. Stimulation of osteoinduction in bone wound healing by high-molecular hyaluronic acid, Bone 1995; 16(1): 9–15.
7. Azlan M et al. The effect of hyaluronic acid-supplemented bone graft in bone healing: experimental study in rabbits, Bio App 2006; 20(3): 209–20.
8. Sasaki T, Watanabe C. Stimulation of osteoinduction in bone wound healing by high-molecular hyaluronic acid, Bone 1995; 16(1): 9–15.
9. Azlan M et al. The effect of hyaluronic acid-supplemented bone graft in bone healing: experimental study in rabbits, Bio App 2006; 20(3): 209–20.
10. Bartoloni S, Omer G. Peri-implant infections: prevention and treatment with a gel containing sodium hyaluronate and piperacillin and tazobactam, Doctor Os; 2014.
11. Heitz-Mayfield, L et al, The Therapy of Peri-implantitis: A Systematic Review, Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2014;29(Suppl):325–345.